Fediverse is a portmanteau of “federation” and “universe”. It is a common, informal name for a somewhat broad federation of social network servers whose main purpose is microblogging, the sharing of short, public messages. By running social network software that supports a standard set of protocols called ActivityPub, independently run servers can connect to the Fediverse, allowing its users to follow and receive short messages from each other, regardless of which particular ActivityPub server implementation they are running.
The Fediverse is built on Free Software. Some of its social networks are vaguely Twitter-ish in style (for example Mastodon, or GNU Social, similar in activities and their microblogging function), while other federated platforms include more communication and transaction options that are instead comparable to Google+ or Facebook (such as is the case with Friendica).
Mastodon is a distributed, federated social network that forms part of the Fediverse, an interconnected and decentralized network of independently operated servers with microblogging features similar to Twitter. (Wikipedia)
- How to Make a Mastodon Bot: The Definitive Guide (tutorial on Botwiki)
- The Coding Train Mastodon bot video tutorial series
- Introduction to Mastodon bots (tutorial on Botwiki)
- Fediverse Bot [BETA] (glitch.com)
- Tracery Mastodon Bot (glitch.com)
- notoriousbot: bot that posts to Twitter and Mastodon (glitch.com)
- see also: opensource Fediverse bots
- polybot: a framework for making social media bots for multiple networks (github.com)
- Mastodon.py: Python wrapper for the Mastodon API (github.com)
- mastobot: Python class that can be extended to make Mastodon bots, uses Mastodon.py
- botfriend: Manage a lot of creative bots that post to a lot of different services.
- pygnusocial: GNU Social API for Python 3 (gitgud.io)
- mastodon-api: Ruby interface for the Mastodon API (github.com)
- Cheap Bots, Toot Sweet!: This site will help you make a Mastobot, much like CBDQ for Twitter bots
- Register a Mastodon App: some instances may not provide an API token, this tool will help you generate it (tinysubversions.com)
Pleroma is a federated social networking platform, compatible with GNU social, Mastodon and other ActivityPub and OStatus implementations.
- A reactive bot framework for Pleroma: a modification of Pleroma to support reactive server-side bots
Latest from the blog
See links to a bot's Botwiki entry when visiting its page on Twitter or botsin.space.
Visit the blog