Botwiki was created in July 2015 by Stefan Bohacek with the goal of preserving interesting and creative examples of online bots, and providing tutorials and other resources to folks interested in making them.
Later in August, the Botmakers online group was set up as a safe and friendly online space for artists, tinkerers, bot enthusiasts and seasoned developers to share ideas, resources, and their bot creations, regardless of their technical knowledge.
For more of Botwiki Foundation’s projects and initiatives, check out the Projects page.
— Anil Dash (@anildash) September 10, 2015
All of our work is open, and everyone is invited to contribute. Feel free to connect on Twitter — or you can just say hi via email!
Below is a timeline of major events in the history of the Botwiki project. See also our blog posts celebrating Botwiki anniversaries.
- March 24: Botwiki was migrated to WordPress.
- August 31: Angelina joined the Botwiki team as an event organizer.
- July 12: Botwiki celebrated its two years.
- June 16: Botwiki got an official page on Glitch.
- March: Botwiki had more than 20,000 unique visitors.
- October 1: Hosted the first online Bot Workshop.
- July: First time Botwiki was visited by over 10,000 people in one month. Also, Botwiki celebrated its first year.
- March 31: Veronica joined the Botwiki team as a Bot! zine editor and Botmakers community manager.
- March 21: Hosted the first Botmakers in-person event.
- February 18: Created the Botmakers Meetup group.
- January 1: The first Monthly Bot Challenge was announced.
- November 16: Announced the Botmaker Badges in Bot! zine #4.
- October 26: The first issue of the the Bot! zine newsletter was sent out.
- October 20: The botzine.org domain was bought.
- September 17: Publicly announced the Botmakers Slack group.
- September 3: First tweet by @botwikidotorg.
- August 19: The botmakers.org domain was bought.
- July 15: First commit to the public Botwiki repository.
- July 12: The botwiki.org domain was bought and the @botwikidotorg Twitter account was set up.